Friday, September 23, 2011

Tusuy Kusun



"Tusuy Kusun" is a Quechua phrase that means "Let's Dance." This song, by Damaris, is a modern and contemporary Huayno (Andean) song that's a mix of Quechua, the traditional Peruvian language, and the sounds of modern Peruvian pop music. It's actually very catchy and melodic and sounds a lot like pop music from other parts of the world. The song sounds quite different from the more traditional, instrumental music we've been listening to, but some flutes can still be heard behind the more modern, heavier beats. If I had heard this song without knowing it's Peruvian origins, I would think it was by a Middle Eastern artist. It reminds me of some Indian music I've heard.

2 comments:

  1. This video for some strange reason I would begin to think of female artists in our popular music charts such as Lady Gaga or Brittany Spears. This imagery may be totally off for other people but this sticks out in my head because while watching the video it seems similar to the music that we in our culture would find popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see the connection to peruvian roots and contemporary pop music in this video with the instruments used/language. But I was a bit confused at first when I first listened to it, because I also thought the music was of a middle eastern background. I think the sound of the melody is what threw me off. But overall I enjoyed listening to this song, I like the chorus and the fast tempo beat.

    ReplyDelete