Saturday, November 5, 2011

Guajira



As a fan of American country music, I wanted to track down an example of guajira (or Cuban country music). As you can see in the clip above of a performance from Miami, sonically it's not very similar to American country music. However, there are some similarities in its stripped down nature. Much like American country music, Cuban country music only uses a few instruments (mostly string) and there is a focus on the vocalist. I would assume this is to make the lyrics more prominent, as they're an essential component in country music. This style seems to put more emphasis on the actual lyrics as opposed to creating something that can be danced to.

1 comment:

  1. I saw country music, and i thought this would be my cup of tea! I'm also a fan of country music - but it really took me a while to see the similarities, between American country style and the style of this genre. After listening to it a few times i really appreciate the instrumental elements of it, and can see how it relates to country style where they focus on the lyrical aspects the most.

    Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete