Thursday, October 20, 2011

"I Need to Know" Marc Anthony



Marc Anthony, best known for his salsa-tinged work, helped kick start the Latin pop explosion of the late 90s in the U.S., with his debut English single, "I Need to Know." Although this track is laden with modern, pop beats, some hallmarks of salsa remain. The track opens with violin and piano and prominently features trumpets during the chorus. All of these instruments are typically associated with salsa music. Although salsa's origins can be traced to Cuba, it mixes well with pop, rock and R&B--all genres Anthony borrowed from for this track. Fusing traditional salsa elements with radio friendly genres earned this song a peak of #3 on the Billboard Hot 100. Much like the song, the video also features a combination of dance styles from hip-hop and pop movements to some elements of salsa.

4 comments:

  1. I love this song! I think it represents a great transition between music in pop culture and Latin American roots. Both the beats and instruments used represent different genres of music--and like you stated above, they create a fusion between the two types of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great song because it combines many Latino musical elements with the American musical style to create a very distinct sound. I really enjoy Marc Anthony as an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be one of my favorite songs ever by Marc Anthony! I have both the english and spanish version on my ipod, its great. I love how it incorporates both pop and latin rhythms, beats, and instruments. This song just shows how a lot of music has fused with other styles to create their own unique style of music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This song was crucial to the mainstream success of Marc Anthony. It created a Latin sound with the pop American sound. I was curious to see if any other artist has done similar things and I thought of Carlos Santana. While they cover two separate genres, they both were able to fuse together genres and create a unique sound. Santana is my favorite out of the two :p

    ReplyDelete