Saturday, October 1, 2011

"Tic, Tic, Tac"



"Tic, Tic, Tac" by Joven Sensación is one of the songs mentioned in the reading. The description was interesting, so I thought I would check it out. As described on page 112, the song mixes hip hop elements with more traditional Andean, folkloric sounds. A rap-like delivery is given over a funk drum riff and bass line, which is accompanied by synthesized panpipes--a more modern take on a traditional Andean instrument. Electric guitar and trumpets can also be heard on the track. The melody is actually very catchy and sounds similar to some of the "bubblegum" pop songs that were popular here in the late 90s and early 2000s. Unfortunately, the video is also reminiscent of that era and is pretty cheesy. However, there are both scenes in what appear to be the highlands and in the city. I think this visual representation is perfect for the music--a combination of traditional, Andean folkloric music and more modern, cosmopolitan hip hop and pop sounds.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is an interesting find! I agree that the visual representations in this music video fit perfectly with the musical combination. Having scenes in both the highlands and in the city blend in perfectly with the two genres that are incorporated in this song. This song definitely shows the viewers the multiple sides and genres of music in Peru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why but the very beginning of the song with the DJ scratching reminded me of beastie boys, and the group themselves reminded me of a boy band like backstreet boys. It's a funny combination and I definitely agree its pretty cheesy. However, I think the song shows a great fusion of Andean folkloric music and more modern hip hop music. I also agree how showing both the city and highlands blend well together. Mixing various styles and scenery shows how music is always changing and fusing with one another.

    ReplyDelete