Thursday, December 8, 2011

Danza de los diablos

I recently wrote my final paper about the Danza de los diablos. I thought that this was an interesting subject to cover just because of the name. While researching and trying to understand the purpose of the dance, the music, the costumes and many other aspects I keep asking myself how can I learn more. One of the things that I found interesting and mind blowing was the art skills of many different areas that developed the costumes for this dance. The costumes were worn as sort of a self made challenge for the dancers and they wanted to test themselves when performing. Some of these costumes were extremely extravagant and has me wondering why on earth these people would want to put themselves through carrying something that looks so heavy. This is because they have a belief that they want to pass along and teach the others. Many of the different masks seemed top heavy and I admire these performers for what they do.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting and relates a but to Los Dias de Los Muertos, when people believe that the spirits come back. ALso, i think of Dominican Palos or African dances that are used to "call" the spirits.

    ReplyDelete