Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sonidero!

I remember in class when Professor Hutchinson was talking about her experience when she was dancing and the sonidero DJ would keep interrupting the music. She said she would keep losing her place because the DJ would cut off the music and talk over it multiple times. A sonidero is a party DJ that mixes mostly caribbean music with electronic effect. They tend to speak over the music to send shout outs and comment on the music. I find this style to be very humorous because I can't imagine dancing to music and it getting interrupted every few seconds. I think I would be annoyed a little, but I do like the music that is played. In the video you can see how the DJ interrupts the music very often to give shout outs. I found it interesting how in the couples dance men danced with both men and women. We usually see only men and women dance together so I thought it was cool that men and women danced together with the same sex. From seeing this video I can see what Professor Hutchinson was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8sS5nMelE&feature=fvst

1 comment:

  1. I agree! To me, it just seems silly, and annoying! However, I can see the appeal, especially here in the US. Living abroad for almost 7 months taught me a lot about what it is like to be so far away from what you know and wanting to find any little thing to bring you back home. I would go watch movies in English and go to "Gringo Bars" to watch baseball games. I feel like this is the same type of thing for many Mexicans living in the US. They do not get annoyed with the interuptions because every interuption brings them back to a place they yearn for. I actually think that part of it is pretty cool! And the way in whcih someone from Mexico can be you a shoutout thorugh the music at a party in Chicago! This is just one of those things that you can't truly appreciate until you're put in their shoes, I guess.

    ReplyDelete