Thursday, December 8, 2011

Salsa Music

I didn't realize how many of the Latin American Musical styles are closely associated due to the link with either Afro-Cuban, Afro- Carribean or Afro-Peruvian roots. This was something I wanted to understand better was the link between all the different genres and sub-genres of these types of music. There is an informative documentary type youtube series here is the link to the first part. Something that I have associated in common it must be a requirement or something that you be athletic to perform some of these dances.

http://youtu.be/4f43QcdSMuU

1 comment:

  1. I found the video to be funny, entertaining, and informative. I never realized how much salsa is linked to other styles of music until this course and the video. It derives from Cuban son, but it has formed a whole identity of its own. I love salsa and dance it often with my family; its very Puerto Rican oriented although it can be heard transnationally. I liked how the video showed the evolution of salsa. It shows where salsa started and what it has become today. I definitely found it very informative, thanks!

    ReplyDelete