Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Samba costumes- Gay???

Hey class!

So, a couple of weeks ago I went to Puerto Rico with my bf for his friends' wedding. We didn't really know anyone there but the night before the wedding there was a reception held at the resort so that we could meet other out-of-town guests. The bride thought it would be nice to introduce to some of her friends from the States. She introduced us to this one guy who had been born in PR but was raised in Miami. We got to talking and somehow the topic about em studying abroad in Latin America came up. He asked me if I had visited Brazil, unfortunately, I had not. I went on to say that it was one of the places that I really wish I had been able to visit, especially during Carnaval! His response, "I'm not ready for that yet. All of those gay guys dancing around in the little outfits! That's just gross." One,seriously? Dude, gross? I was completely shocked to hear him say this. I went on to say that that was simply part of their culture, it did not mean they were gay. I explained to him some of then things we had learned in class about the favelas and costume making. He wasn't having it. So, I moved on.

I was so shocked to hear him say that. First because of the homophobic nature of the comment itself is disgusting. But second, because of everything we have learned in class about the costumes and carnaval in general. Made happy to know that classes like these are offered to educate people about other cultures.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that Samba costumes are gay , I just think he was just one of the many ignorant close minded people. I'm sure many would find his comment to very offensive, just because their costumes are colorful does not make them gay. As we learned in class Samba and carnival go hand and hand and it is a big celebration for people in Brazil. To call their celebration gay shows his lack of exposure to other cultures and I agree, I'm glad classes like this one is offered to us.

    ReplyDelete