Sunday, December 11, 2011

Estrellitas y Duendes-Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra is not a musician; he is a poet. This man is one of the most famous tropical singers of all time, and broke barriers. He is respected by all artist from different genres because his songs are lyrically impressive and is poetry. Below, I have attached one of my favorite songs of his, Estrellitas y Duendes (Stars and Goblins). To me, the style of this song relates more to Cuban son, which is apparent in the melody and rhythm.



Estrellitas y Duendes Translation

Living in your memory
stars-and-goblins
biting each illusion.
wander around your belly
as a simple rain
in my dreams vivirs
as indelible ink

as stain steel
do not forget the language
when two make love.
I tost on your cheeks
my body is torn
and not live one second
to tell you that without you, I die.
like the sun in the afternoon
I was in your eyes

no longer close my eyes
tir me to more deeply
Walking without knowing
calzare your body
and I'm drowning in the seas of your game.
as traces of iron

eating leftovers
within your heart.
And being an empty sea
silent phrase
Elegance of a kiss
a world of jealousy, carving a song.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, JLG id definitely a lyrical poet. I think that one of the most amazing things about him has been the way in which he has been able to target all audiences. It is rare, in my opinion, to find artists who we listen to just as muich as our parents. Juan Luis Guerra happens to be one of those artists. Our grandparents, parents, and little cousins all know who he is and can sing along to many of his lyrics. He is able to relate to so many; from boleros, to merengue, to even spiritual music. Everyone is just mesmorized by his soothing voice and touching lyrics. And his humility has made evryone fall in love with him. Thanks for bringing him up!

    ReplyDelete